Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Is Getting Married A Requirement?


For people like me who remained single after living for 5 decades, you surely know the feeling of being asked the question "when will you have your day with a partner?". As early as 25  we tended to avoid family gatherings because we are always irritated to hear that question time and again from a relative or a guest. In fact, at times when you are obliged to be in a gathering, you encounter folks who border on reprimanding you for being single. Commonly cited reason for the demand for one to be married is for children, who will eventually take care of you, to exist.

At 50, I found myself so ill that I have to be in hospital care time and again. Having no children to give me the much needed assistance, must I told myself that I should have married and had children? The answer is NO. Luckily, I maintained a harmonious relationship with my siblings as well as people around me. There is no time when I needed assistance and no one was there. One, two, three or more have always been by my side. A sibling, a nephew, a niece, a cousin, a former classmate, someone has always been there. 

I am, then, thinking, may be having your own children is a plus. It is no requirement though as long as you live life while you give love and care to people who live with you. Just be in good terms to everyone, as in, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment