Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tsunami Walk by Philippine Beauty Queens

As I am watching the search for the next Filipina Miss Universe candidate and as the hosts announced that they are watching out for a winning style of walking and that one host said a "Tornado walk" is anticipated, I cannot help but feel uncomfortable with such a way of labeling styles of walking. I share the same sentiments of some acquaintances that being proud of doing a "Tsunami walk" is rejoicing on the disasters leading to lost of lives. A Tornado walk implies the same. Maybe, it should not be my concern. However, pictures of lives lost due to A Tsunami as well as Tornado are still freshly painted. While the words Tsunami and Tornado are associated to a strong and irresistible presence, to a sensitive life-centered being, the words are associated to a lot of lives lost. Where do the Binibining Pilipinas organizers stand? I don't know. I just strongly believe that there are beings who would shed tears as they hear the word Tsunami, Tornado and the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment